We, a group of Eritrean lawyers, professionals and academicians from across all over the world, are pleased to publicly announce the establishment of an “Eritrean Law Society”.
The Eritrean Law Society is a nonprofit organization registered in the state of Virginia and California with the aim of achieving, among others things, the following objectives:
- Promoting the Eritrean legal system in accordance with the Constitution of Eritrea and its subsidiary laws and regulations.
- Increasing public understanding of the rule of law and democratic principles.
- Providing free or low cost legal services to Eritrean citizens.
- Investigating, monitoring, recording and publishing violations of human rights against Eritreans by any government, political organization, groups or individuals.
- Assisting Eritrean victims of human rights violations who are outside of Eritrea and find themselves in difficult situations.
- Lobbying governments, organizations and individuals to pay attention for gross human right violations against Eritreans.
- Promoting common understanding, cooperation and support, and information sharing with governments, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, and individuals.
Currently, there are more than 40 members and the number is increasing by the day. Membership is open to all interested lawyers, professionals and academicians who share and are committed to the objectives of the Eritrean Law Society. Eritrean Law Society is headquartered in Virginia and has offices and contact in Canada, Europe and Africa.